Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Can video games predict the future of sports?

Tired of gambling your money away on your own "professional" picks for upcoming sporting events?

Then look no further than...video games?

Yes, gamespot.com posted a story on their news blog announcing to the world that the San Jose Sharks will be the 2008 Stanly Cup champions!!!

But, how do they know?

Enter: NHL 08 from our friends at EA Sports.

Apparently, EA ran the Stanly Cup playoff schedule through a simulation on their NHL 08 title which showed San Jose and Montreal in the finals with the Sharks winning it out in seven games.

Based on the ultra-sophisticated nature of next-generation artificial intelligence and hardware this simulation should be accurate, correct?

(Buzzing noise, wrong)

I don't know if it was just me, but I seem to remember a certain New England football team being a heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl in all simulations of EA's Madden 08....Whoops.

I realize this is all in good fun, but it serves as a reminder that video games cannot always predict the future and may not be an entirely reliable bet when it comes complex and random nature of human interaction and - in this case - sports.

Nevertheless, who knows. Anything can happen in the realm of sports and maybe EA will be exactly correct.

In that case, I might be picking up a few more copies of EA's Rugby title and taking a trip to Europe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.