Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mother calls 911 because of her son's late-night gaming fest

A Roxbury, Mass., mother had enough.

"I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the light on in his bedroom," 49-year-old Angela Mejia said.

Frustrated and frantic, Mejia did all she could to subdue her 14-year-old son at 2:30 a.m. Saturday morning so she called 911:

"I called (police) because if you don’t respect your mother, what are you going to do in your life?"


The teenager had been playing "Grand Theft Auto" against his mother's wishes.

When officers from the nearby Boston suburb's police department arrived they quickly convinced the boy to carefully place the controller on the floor and go to bed.

The single mother of four had made little progress in convincing her son to sleep over playing video games and made the 911 call in a final act of desperation.

"Sometimes I want to run away, too. I have support from my church, but I’m alone. I want to help my son, but I can’t find a way."


No one was arrested in the incident.

What are your thoughts?

What does it mean when a mother has to call the police to stop her child from playing video games?

Bad parenting? Or has video game obsession gone too far?

No comments: