Wednesday, March 10, 2010

New York man breaks Donkey Kong world record

It's been about a week and a half since the closing of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver, Canada., but records are still being broken - in the world of video games.


Hank Chien a 35-year-old plastic surgeon from New York, NY., broke the world 1,050,200-point world record on the original Donkey Kong arcade game held by Florida resident Billy Mitchell. Mitchell was filmed claiming the previous record in a 2006 documentary called "King of Kong."


Chien's record of 1,061,700 points was set in 2 hours and 35 minutes.


The official gaming scorekeepers, Twin Galaxies, confirmed the record and has a full interview with the new world champion.


In the interview he discusses his strategy:


Well there aren't many secrets left in Donkey Kong and I'd be glad to share what I know. I think in the past there were some secrets, but these days it's more a matter of execution. First, getting the bottom hammer on the barrels boards is absolutely crucial for breaking 1M. Not just getting it either, but knowing when to get it and how to steer the rest of the barrels down after you get it. But what really pushed me to the world record is what I call "barrel grouping" and running down ladders to re-jump groups. You get more points by jumping barrels in groups than you would individually and you can run down ladders to re-jump the same group and get even more points. You have to get good at recognizing when the barrels will group and when it's safe to run down ladders. You can do that anywhere on the screen, but I find near the top of the screen to be the safest. Even there, it's not risk free.


He also provides some inspirational hope to the youth of the world:


As one notable Donkey Kong record holder says "It's in your DNA." While I do believe there is some truth to that, I also feel it's really a combination of DNA and practice. Don't be afraid to shoot for the stars, just stay away from my record.


Finally, here shares an interesting experience that was a request of a mother and her son that could make for a story all on its own:


That does reminds me of a funny story....I have this video on YouTube of me doing a perfect speed run of the hardest board on Super Mario Galaxy. A mom and her daughter found the video and emailed me asking if I could pass that board for them if they sent me their memory card. I asked "Is this for you or your daughter?" She reluctantly told me "Both!"

No comments: